8.04.2011

No. 50- Aim and Ignite




Album: Aim and Ignite

Band: fun.


Year Released: 2009









   


I really got into this album...
Summer 2010

 
Favorite songs include...
Be Calm
At Least I'm Not As Sad (as I Used To Be)


 Why it’s so good...
I went a long time trying to not like The Format. Something about being in Arizona when they got real big and the whole argument of “There are way better local bands than them!” or “They’re the biggest jerks!”- it seemed to be the cool thing to not like the guys.
But by the time Nate Ruess put together these guys- post Format breakup- I couldn’t deny his musicality. The guy is amazing at two things that I really enjoy on this album:

1. Orchestration. So many artists/bands try to have touches of orchestra or symphony pieces in their music. But you can’t listen to a song like “Be Calm” and deny that arrangement of instruments is tight. And on top of that, they deliver solid harmonies that put Freddie Mercury to shame.

2. Lyrics. I’ve struggled over the years to really allow vulnerability in songs I write. But there is no hesitation in these songs. It’s kind of like sitting down with a friend of a friend- distant but somewhat familiar- and having them reveal their deepest insecurities, flaws, and struggles. At first it’s a little uncomfortable but you slowly connect with those feelings. You start to see yourself in those words.

6 comments:

  1. I had a hard time liking the Format as well. I saw them play with Jim Adkins and Reuben's Accomplice, and the singer (Nate?) thought he was Steven Tyler and it bugged the crap out of me. So for that reason I've never checked fun. Though one day I might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I totally agree that the orchestration is amazing. But putting Freddie Mercury to shame? Our opinions differ there. But I agree, great album!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really gotten into this album (although there are some solid tracks on it), but once I got over my I'm-too-cool-to-listen-to-the-format phase I grew to really like dog problems (about half the album anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true with the orchestration. Too few non ska bands can pull off brass instruments, and they do it as well as anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first track reminded me of a less awesome Lost In The Trees, at least towards the beginning of the song. It went downhill from there. The vocals really don't do it for me. They also kinda remind me of another band I occasionally listen to called La Strada, but with melodies that aren't as tight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Myke- It's worth a once over. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

    Dani- I stand by my statement.

    Whit- You'll be seeing some of that action further down the list...

    Cody- I can't believe you're talking about ska on my good music blog.

    Jeremy- You're going to like something I post about! I'm determined!

    ReplyDelete