8.12.2011

No. 44- For Emma Forever Ago



Album: For Emma, Forever Ago

Band: Bon Iver


Year Released: 2008












I really got into this album...
Summer 2009

Favorite songs include...

Skinny Love 
Re:Stacks

Why it’s so good...

A guy gets mono, goes to some secluded cabin to get better and “hibernate”, and while there records a collection of songs all dealing with demons from his past. "All of his personal trouble, lack of perspective, heartache, longing, love, loss and guilt that had been stockpiled over the course of the past six years, was suddenly purged into the form of song."

Kind of a gimmick, but without the back-story you still feel all that turmoil described.
And in a way I think all of us can relate to that experience. I mean, at the beginning of the summer of 2009- when I was first introduced to this album- I feel like I was in need of some healing myself. So I found a secluded cabin in this piece of music and began the process.

The soul in Justin Vernon’s voice, the aching in his lyrics, and the simplicity of the songs’ arrangements/recordings leaves no fluff to get in the way of the music and its listener.

1 comment:

  1. and proof that all you need to make a great record is an sm57 and creativity.

    -steven j. packer

    ReplyDelete