8.08.2011

No. 45- American Beauty



Album: American Beauty

Band: Grateful Dead


Year Released: 1970










I really got into this album...
Fall 2006

Favorite songs include...

Ripple 
Friend of the Devil

Why it’s so good...

There was an episode of Freaks and Geeks about Dead Heads and specifically this album. 
Made me think “that’s a part of the hippie scene that I just don’t get”.
Then I dated a girl whose dad was a big Dead Head. But I avoided listening to it- explaining that it wasn’t my thing. Then I got a job working for a guy who would often play 1960’s and 1970’s rock albums while we worked. At that point, I couldn’t avoid listening to these guys.

But what I found was that they sounded nothing like I had expected. I was surprised to hear how much country and blues was fused in this rock band.
I just really enjoy a good mellow album, and this is the ideal. You still have catchy tunes like “Friend of the Devil” and “Till The Morning Comes”, and then you have these bits of gorgeous music. Examples: “Brokedown Palace” has some solid harmonies in that chorus, and “Ripple” also sports strong harmonies along with some awesome mandolin usage.
And now I find myself often trying to capture that same energy and sound when I write/record music.
It’s just really uniquely beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. This has been on my "to listen" list for most of this year. I don't know why I haven't heard it yet, since I like jam bands, and country- and blues-infused rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i did it! i'm being good and i listened to the two songs you recommended. (p.s. when i looked up Ripple on youtube, it included comments such as "thumbs up if you're baked." chya!) i dig it, but i think it'll take a specific mood for me to choose it. it's got that 70s folksy vibe that my dad infused in me, but it doesn't ALWAYS tickle my fancy. there's some definite bob dylan esque head bobbing type of thing going on. if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete