8.13.2011

No. 40- Amnesiac




Album: Amnesiac

Band: Radiohead


Year Released: 2001











I really got into this album...
Winter 2001

Favorite songs include...

Packt Like Sardines In A Crushd Tin Box 
Like Spinning Plates 


Why it’s so good... 
Talk about an album that made me re-think music.  It’s not especially revolutionary, especially when you compare it to other Radiohead albums, but when I had purchased this album it was like nothing else in my music collection.

It was the start of their heavy use of drum machines, the more regular use of a piano, and infusion of jazz beats- this album signifies the new era of Radiohead to me. They took their artistic freedoms to the limits. I mean, even as a listener I had been pushed out of my comfort zone here (see: the piano on “Pyramid Song”). But that’s why I love it so much- it helped my teenage self rediscover what music could sound like, outside of the pop music format. And at the same time, I can totally sing along to these songs. That’s songwriting mastery.

The last truly great Radiohead album in my opinion- and often a forgotten classic.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting one for me. I had a phase where I listened to it a lot, but now, I just never really get the urge to listen to it. I do enjoy it while I'm hearing it (especially tracks like Pyramid Song and Life in a Glass House).

    I actually liked Kid A better. Sometimes Amnesiac feels like Kid A's leftovers (which might be true, since they were recorded in the same sessions). For me, they peaked at OK Computer.

    ReplyDelete