8.14.2011

No. 38- Give Up






Album: Give Up

Artist: The Postal Service


Year Released: 2003









I really got into this album...
Summer 2007

Favorite songs include...
The District Sleeps Alone Tonight 
Nothing Better 

Why it’s so good... 
A lot of my friends got really into this album in high school- I avoided it. Probably to seem separated from what I perceived as "trendy". I often explained that I figured no album with so much synth, drum machines, and other technology based instruments could have any heart.

How wrong I was. 
In fact, there are few albums that will get my pulse racing quicker than this album. From the very first bass-heavy synth on "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight", I am in a trance.
I've always respected Ben Gibbard's lack of fluff in writing music, particulary with his lyrics. You can see the time and effort put into each element of each song he writes, whether in Death Cab For Cutie or especially on this project with Dntel's Jimmy Tamborello.

But what really earns Give Up's spot on this list is its role in my taste in music. I was explaining to a friend who had seen this album's position on the list and was surprised, without Give Up I don't think I would have ever given bands like Passion Pit or MGMT or a hundred other bands a real chance. They showed me that there is plenty of passion in an emo kid's heart to pour out over drum machines and synthesizers. And I argue that Ben Gibbard's was actually accented by the strong presence of cold, hard technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment