8.13.2011

No. 39- Ágætis Byrjun





Album: Ágætis Byrjun

Band: Sigur Rós


Year Released: 1999











I really got into this album...
Summer 2006

Favorite songs include...

Svefn-G-Englar 
Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása 


Why it’s so good... 
One night I was driving home from a friend’s house who lived quite a ways away as it was pouring rain. I didn’t have much experience driving at the time so I was wary taking the freeway home. I knew it’d be a long drive home so I decided to turn on an album I had recently downloaded but never listened to. And that was the first time I listened to Ágætis Byrjun. The night sky, the rainy air, the open road- it all added so much to the arrangement of sounds I heard.

I like that everything on this album feels so natural- nothing forced. They just let the music go where it wants to go. This often results in songs that are incredibly long (10 tracks and over an hour long).

And I appreciate music that brings with it its own world. 
Like you've been taken out of Mesa, Arizona and taken to the other side of the universe and you're just learning this new way of living. The fact that they sing no lyrics in English also helps with that.

1 comment:

  1. what a coincidence that I also have memories listening to this album when it was pouring rain....the perfect one for it. I agree that it transports you to another time and place. great choice

    ReplyDelete