8.13.2011

No. 41- In Utero




Album: In Utero

Band: Nirvana


Year Released: 1993











I really got into this album...
Circa 1998

Favorite songs include...

All Apologies 
Serve The Servants 


Why it’s so good... 
The first band I was ever really into was Nirvana. It was sort of inevitable- between the fact that I had grown up listening to them from my older brother and the end of the decade worship of Kurt Cobain’s musical contributions, I was kind of force fed the assumption that they were the greatest band ever.
It was sometime in high school when I had really broadened my horizons musically that I decided that the Seattle grunge thing wasn’t my sound anymore. Maybe it never was? Or maybe I just grew up and the teenage angst thing was no longer needed?
But at the end of the day, I could never deny that In Utero was still one of my favorite albums. I always said that if I was making records in 1993, it was the record I would’ve been trying to make. It was the songwriting- floating back and forth between hard and beautiful, it was the unique recording style of the album (they placed mics all over the room to get an authentic reverb feel on all the instruments), and I think it was the “We just made this classic record (Nevermind)- we can do what we want now” attitude that has always inspired me in my own writing and recording.

I grew out of the Kurt Cobain phase of my life years ago, but you’ll still see me screaming out the words to “Pennyroyal Tea” in my car from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment