8.06.2011

No. 47- Nickel Creek



Album: Nickel Creek

Band: Nickel Creek


Year Released: 2000












I really got into this album...
Fall 2006

Favorite songs include...

Reasons Why 
Sweet Afton


Why it’s so good...

There are few bands with as much musicality as Nickel Creek. Those guys know how to write a great song. And what’s more, they play their respective instruments better than most. Each member contributes as singer/songwriter. And in my opinion, there may not be a more raw genre of music than bluegrass.
And this album is veeeeery bluegrass. But not in a way that would turn any newcomer off of the genre. More like you become immersed and wonder why you’ve never gotten into it before.

But what makes this album really special to me is how it takes me out of myself- no matter what’s going on in my life, no matter how old I get, no matter how I’ve changed since the last time I listened to it- putting this album on takes me to where I was the first time I heard it.
I-89 between Kanab and Cedar City, UT during the early days of October.
And I just feel free. I feel like I’m driving 70 mph in the cool, brisk air with all my worries behind me and nothing but joy ahead. It’s a personal connection that I can’t really explain to anyone else.
But that’s why it’s one of my favorites. It’s an old friend that I’m always happy to visit with.

3 comments:

  1. Hey look, here's one I like! Chris Thile is awesome. Nickel Creek was awesome.

    In case you think this post is too positive, though, I will say that this is my least favorite of the three Nickel Creek albums...you can really hear Alison Krauss's fingerprint on this one. "This Side" and "Why Should The Fire Die?" seemed to become more and more Chris Thile albums. Nothing against Krauss, but I find Thile's work to be much more adventurous. So, naturally, I find Punch Brothers to be a notch or two above Nickel Creek.

    I am looking forward to seeing Sara Watkins with the Decemberists this week, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree.
    But Jeremy please remember- this is only #47. We've got plenty more room to fit the other two NC albums in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait. Even better if you can fit the two (or three, depending on how you count them) Punch Brothers records, too!

    You should go see Decemberists and Sara Watkins with us this week. As of right now, I still one ticket that is not spoken for.

    ReplyDelete