11.01.2011

No. 7- Kid A







Album: Kid A

Artist: Radiohead


Year Released: 2000









I really got into this album...
Circa 2003

Favorite songs include...
“Motion Picture Soundtrack” 
“Idioteque"
“Optimistic” 

Why it’s so good... 
I purchased Kid A a few days after it's release. I had high hopes- since their previous release (OK Computer) I had become a huge fan and I was sure this would blow my mind. I popped that disc into my CD Walkman and heard that heavy presence of electric piano. As I listened on for the next few tracks, I was confused and let down. I gave up on the album.


A few years later I realized that I had never fully given the album a chance. I randomly chose a track on it with the intention to really open my ears to these songs. The first song was a track called "Optimistic"- now one of my favorite Radiohead songs. It set the stage for the rest of the album- one full of artistically epic sounds and themes.


You certainly need to respect the guys for doing something so unexpected. I could also mention that it was picked as Rolling Stones top album of the 2000s. And I don't take away from that cause it's all legitimate.
But my love for this album is far deeper than that. Simply put, it's one of the most creative albums released in my lifetime. It has such depth, and yet the quality of songs and variety within them offers just as much breadth as well.

It's just one of those albums that changes you. Once you've heard it, music is different. Forever.

2 comments:

  1. The king of limbs is kinda like this to me. Radiohead has a way of bringing you close with something you know and then blowing you away with something completely different. What are your thoughts with TKOL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie Trent my friend- The King of Limbs was a bit of a dealbreaker for me. Quite the let down.

    ReplyDelete